Tuesday 21 January 2014

How I beat the heat!


For those of you who aren't aware, Australia has just come out of one of the worst heatwaves we've experienced. Temps hit mid to high 40s (Celsius) and night time low were in the 30s. It was bad. It was made even worse by the fact that there is only one little air conditioner in our house and it's definitely not in my bedroom. And so we spent a week sleeping on a very uncomfortable fold-out in the lounge. Fun.

As you can imagine, my skin started to feel pretty disgusting by the third day of non-stop heat. It was about this time that I began to notice some products which stood up to the test. I guess, in times of need, we find out what's really there for you and what falls by the wayside.

First of all, the REN Clarifying Clay Cleanser really did it's job as I struggled with oil overload! While I'm generally a combination skin, this heat had me constantly feeling sticky and this lovely little cleanser managed to downplay that greasiness well. I've already done a review on this product from REN - you can read my ode to it here.

Secondly, in the heat you can't go past a good facial spritz. This one from Kora is the Energising Citrus Mist and it's incredible. Again, I have done a review on this which you can read here. What I will say is that this was perfect for when I needed a pick-me-up: it feels refreshing and restorative.

Next up, though it seems a little old fashioned, is a good old talc powder. I actually picked this up specifically during this heatwave as I found that I'd get out of the shower feeling just as sticky as before I got in. This one from Fleurique is lovely and light and comes in a range of scents - I chose frangipani.

A moisturiser which stood out and I ended up using morning and night is the Origins Ginzing Energy-boosting Moisturiser. It feels lovely and light on the skin and soaks up really quickly, so I wasn't left feeling oily or sticky. What made this feel even better to apply was the fact that I'd taken to putting my serums/moisturisers/balms etc. in the fridge to preserve them. Let me give you the heads up, nothing feels better on a hot night than a cold moisturiser. I might just do this all the time now!

Finally, when it comes to the outdoors in Australia - be it Summer or Winter - you really do need an SPF on your skin. When it's 45 degrees, I really don't have to think twice. I have two picks which do the job for me. The first being the Nivea Sun Light Feel Daily Face Veil SPF 30+ which I often use as a moisturiser under my makeup. This isn't too oily and certainly prevents my face getting burnt. When it comes to the rest of the body none compares to the Le Tan Coconut Lotion SPF 30+. While this is no longer the highest SPF on the market, nothing comes close to the smell of this stuff. I adore it and would be willing to put it on in the dead of winter just to smell this good. It makes me think of holidays, bikinis and the beach - all the good things! 

And so there you have it. Should Australia find itself hit with another heatwave like this, at least I will no what products to turn to!

Have you got any personal faves for battling the extremities of Summer? I'd love to know what they are in the comments below!

Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment